The purpose of the student dress code is to ensure that students maintain an acceptable standard of appearance at all times that is consistent with that of a clean, neat, and well-groomed professional. This policy is intended to be inclusive; any needed revisions will be determined by the program faculty. The program faculty will be the sole judge of what is or is not consistent with the dress code.
All clothing pieces will be loose fitting, neat, clean, pressed and wrinkle-free.
Appropriate undergarments will be worn. Undergarments that show through the clothing or uniform are inappropriate.
Make-up should be subdued and kept to a minimum.
Only light scented perfume or aftershave are considered appropriate.
Gum chewing is prohibited at all times.
Breath and body should be free of any offensive odors.
|3-4 button polo shirt||
|short or long sleeve||long sleeve|
|white or navy blue||white or navy blue|
|pique or smooth material|
|* unacceptable: logo or insignia, even if same color as shirt|
|plain broadcloth type material||plain broadcloth type material|
|white or navy blue||white or navy blue|
|elastic top or zipper closure||conservative hemline - knee length or below|
|cargo type pockets acceptable but not as scrubs|
|cuffed or elasticized bottom||knit, textured, or denim material - white jeans skirt|
|stirrup bottom||thin material - undergarments should not be visible through material|
|knit, textured, or demin material - white jeans||hemlines above knee|
|thin material - undergarments should not be visible through material||skorts, shorts, or split skirts|
|pant leg tucked in sock|
|button fly closure|
Lab coat/warm-up jacket:
long white lab coat (knee length) - required for OR
navy blue warm up jacket (rounded collar only) (* unacceptable: sweaters or vests of any type or color)
- white nylons or white socks must be worn at all times (* unacceptable: patterned socks or nylons anklet socks or 'footsies' stripes, designs, or insignia)
- professional shoes (clean, white, polished; must be all white and all leather) / (clog type shoes are acceptable only if they have a full back on them)
- athletic shoes (clean, white, polished, must be all white and all leather) *unacceptable: color insignia or colored tongue (the Nurse Mates blue heart insignia is acceptable)
- Various combinations of tops and bottoms may be worn, but the result must be a combination of white and navy (navy top with white bottom or white top with navy bottom). The student may wear a white top and white bottom if the navy warm-up jacket is worn. An all navy outfit is never acceptable.
- Tops will be tucked into the pants/skirt at all times.
- The top button of the polo shirt may be unfastened.
- If a belt is worn, it should match the color of the pants/skirt.
- Undergarments, including slips with skirts, must be worn and will be white or beige in color.
- Scrubs are worn for OR, C5, CV and outpatient surgery center rotations only. These students will be permitted to report to school in their uniforms and to change into scrubs upon arrival. At the end of the day, these students must change back into uniform prior to leaving the department and deposit the scrubs into an appropriate laundry basket.
- Hair: clean , neat, hair longer than collar length must be pinned or restricted at the base of the neck, hair color must be a natural tone, no “trendy” hairstyles, including spikes and sculpting
- Hair adornments: bows or scrunchie: navy blue or white chip clips: navy blue, white, or brown barrettes: brown, tortoise, or metal
- Hands: clean, fingernails will be trimmed to below the length of the finger (1/4"is acceptable); nail polish of any type (clear included) is not permitted.
- Jewelry: kept to a minimum, rings: total of two rings allowed (wedding sets count as one), bracelets: not allowed
- Earrings: Females: dangle earrings and hoop are prohibited, earrings will be worn as one pair of post type earrings, one earring in each earlobe, no other ear adornments are allowed; Males: not permitted
- Necklace: one single thin chain, no longer than 22" with one small pendant - no lockets
- Watch: students are required to wear a watch with a second hand
- ** other body jewelry that would be visible, including eyebrow, nose, and tongue piercing is unacceptable
- Tattoos: Any visible tattoo or branding is unacceptable
Personal appearance guidelines:
- Students must wear a hospital ID badge, Penn State nametag and radiation-monitoring badge at all times.
- An additional pin may be worn on the blue scrub jacket or white lab coat only.
*dress code is based on all clinical facilities dress code policies