Criminal Justice Symposium to be held at Penn State Schuylkill November 9, 2011
The symposium will run from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm and at the completion of the session those in attendance will be able to:
- Identify risk factors for harm to law enforcement officers, specifically those related to persons who are in crisis and or suffering from symptoms of a serious mental illness.
- Recognize the symptoms of the three serious mental illnesses most commonly suffered by persons in our criminal justice system, including risk factors for suicide.
- Discuss serious mental illnesses from a consumer/family member perspective(s).
- Apply communication and de-escalation techniques to maintain officer and citizen safety when interacting with a person in crisis.
- Summarize general county crisis service procedures and perspective, and the meaning of the phrase “clear and present danger of harm to others or self” as used in the Pennsylvania Mental Health Procedures Act.