Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Penn State Schuylkill dedicates Kiefer-Jones Building

Penn State Schuylkill dedicates Kiefer-Jones Building
Penn State Schuylkill dedicates Kiefer-Jones Building
7/31/2012 —

Penn State Schuylkill dedicated the Kiefer-Jones Building on Thursday, July 26. The building named for Allen Kiefer and Joseph Jones, both of whom have been involved with the Schuylkill Campus Advisory Board for more than 40 years. Kiefer is president of the advisory board and Jones is chairman of its development committee.

The building formerly owned by Schuylkill County as part of the Rest-Haven complex was utilized by Schuylkill County Child Development as administrative offices, until June 2010. The building, along with 33 acres and a second building, known as the 1912 Building, were purchased by the advisory board in April of 2008 for $475,000. The Schuylkill Campus Advisory Board subsequently obtained a loan from Susquehanna Bank to remodel the Kiefer-Jones Building and demolish the 1912 Building. Kiefer and Jones were instrumental in initiating and monitoring all of the legal and financial matters regarding the transactions.

MKSD Architects of Allentown, Pa., was retained to design the project. The design focused on maintaining the original exterior architecture of the building and modernizing the interior while trying to preserve some ot the original details, such as the entrance stairwell, hard wood floors and fireplaces. L&K Construction of Schuylkill Haven, Pa., was the general contractor. The building was completed in spring of 2011 and now currently houses the offices of chancellor, development and alumni relations, and continuing education.

For complete media coverage, click here.

Email this story to a friend Facebook Twitter